Happy Wedding Wednesday! Over the past few weeks we have covered finding the perfect venue, finding the perfect wedding vendors and now we are on to something super exciting and very important in the wedding planning process, finding the perfect WEDDING DRESS! Just writing this gives me butterflies all over again. This was by far one of my favorite things about planning my wedding. Finding your that perfect dress that you will walk down the aisle in is something that we all dream about, right? As little kids we dreamt of that magical gown that we would dance, twirl in, and marry the love of our life. Like every wedding decision this is very important and a huge moment for you. So, I have put together a list of helpful tips for you to find your perfect wedding dress.
How To Find Your Perfect Wedding Dress
- Give yourself time– Depending on the length of your engagement you want to make sure that you give yourself plenty of time to find, order, and alter your wedding dress. Some dresses take 5-6 months to come in so make sure to give yourself time to find that perfect dress.
- Research/do your homework– As with any wedding decision it is important to research and plan as much as possible before looking for your perfect dress. This includes where the best stores are around you, what designs you like, what designers make them, what their price points are, and what stores sell them. Having all of this figured out before you set up an appointment with bridal stores will help save time, and make the process infinitially better. WeddingWire has the perfect online research tool that allows you to search through wedding dresses by designer, fit, style and price point.
- Set a budget– At this point you already have a budget and like all things wedding related this budget is very important. Having a price point in mind when you go to look for your dress is key because you want to be trying on dresses that actually fit within that price point. Dresses can get very expensive and you want to keep in mind the cost of alternations as well.
- Start making appointments ASAP– Bridal store appointments book very fast. So, as soon as you can book them even if it is months out.
- Don’t get too attached to a certain style until you try it on ( be open-minded)– This is very important. You probably already have an idea of the style that you want and that is great! I was the same way but it is important to not get too attached until you try that style on. You may end up loving that style on you or you could also end up not liking it at all. It’s key to keep an open mind to different styles of wedding dresses and try on as many as you would like.
- Bring people you trust– This is such an exciting experience and you want it to be as special as possible. Make sure to bring a select group of people who you trust most and know that will celebrate this time in the most loving/ honest way possible.
- Bring shoes with the same heel height that you will be wearing that day ( if you can) – This is something that is helpful but not mandatory. Trying on dresses with shoes that have the same or similar heel height will give you an idea of what it will look like on your big day but you also have to keep in mind that there will be alterations done after. ( Do make sure to bring your shoes or similar ones to your alteration appointments)
- Ask store if it’s okay to bring champagne to appointment– This is a time to CELEBRATE! Some stores will serve you champagne and others will allow you to bring your own bottle. When booking your appointment it is always fun to ask if this is something they allow. Because what is a celebration without champagne, right? 😉
- Try on veils with the dress– This will allow you to knock out two birds with one stone and also gives you an idea of the whole look you will have on the wedding day.
- Pick a dress you look/feel good in NOW– When trying dresses I know that it is so easy to think that your body is going to change exponentially throughout your engagement. No matter what you are going to look amazing, it is important though to realize that even though you may tone up your body a little bit, it’s not going to make a huge difference about the way you feel in your dress. That is why it is important to pick a dress you feel good in now, because after alterations, and your hard work you will feel even better!
- You will know when it is the right one– Trust me, you will know. You may cry, laugh, who knows. But I can promise you, you will feel it and know when you have found your dress. So go with your gut feeling and follow your heart whether that means it is the first dress you try on or the last.
Questions to Ask
- How long does it take to come in?
- Do they have in-house alterations?
- If so how much do their alterations run?
- If not, who do they recommend?
- Do you have to order the veil?
- How long will it take for the veil to come in?
- Do you have to pay for dress in full?
- Is there a payment plan?
This is such an exciting step in the wedding planning process and I hope you enjoy every second. This dress is going to be something you will remember forever. Now to figure out when we can wear it again, right? 😉
YOU ARE SO LOVED!
Thank you to WeddingWire for sponsoring this post